Continuing Care Retirement Communities, also known as CCRCs, offer a continuum of aging care needs, all in one supportive senior living environment. Also referred to as Life Plan Communities or Lifetime Communities, a CCRC is the perfect retirement option for healthy active older adults who want security in knowing that they will live out their days in one location, despite changing personal care or health needs.
A continuing care retirement community typically provides all levels of care which include:
- Independent living
- Assisted living
- Skilled nursing care and rehabilitation
- Memory care
Although CCRCs generally provide a full range of care services, incoming residents are typically required to live independently when entering the community. Once an established independent living resident, any care needs that arise from that point forward are provided for.
Continuing care retirement communities offer a variety of housing options for their independent living residents. These may include cottages, townhomes, duplexes, condos and apartments. Accommodations vary from community to community.
BENEFITS OF CONTINUING CARE RETIREMENT COMMUNITIES
Each CCRC offers its own unique blend of benefits, services and amenities which may include:
- Calendar of activities that include functions at indoor and outdoor recreation areas
- Frequently planned social events, both on- and off-campus
- Custom-designed meal packages offering chef-prepared meals served in communal dining areas (often includes restaurant-style dining)
- Swimming pools, whirlpools, saunas and spas
- Fitness centers with exercise machines, personal coaches and fitness classes
- Clubhouses/community centers
- On-site hair salons
- On-site laundry facilities
- Scheduled transportation
Some communities may also offer move-in assistance to help with downsizing and packing up the old home, unpacking and organizing the new home in the continuing care retirement community.
Change is hard for many people, and as they get older, it can become even more difficult. This is where CCRCs shine. As care needs change, residents move within the community, rather than having to find a new community. This provides benefits and advantages which include:
- As care needs change, successive moves within the community are much easier.
- There is no need to research senior living communities again
- Ability to maintain friendships despite changes in care needs
- Ability to remain in the same senior living community, which eliminates the need to adjust to a new community as care needs change
- Spouses are able to remain in close proximity to each other, even when their care needs differ. They can continue to enjoy activities, dine and socialize together. They have the opportunity to continue as a couple, spending time with each other whenever they choose, anytime day or night.
Best of all, residents in a CCRC have peace of mind and security in knowing that they’ll be able to live in one location for the rest of their life.
COSTS OF LIVING IN A CCRC
This peace of mind and security, however, comes with a substantially higher price tag. A one-time entrance fee (like a down payment) is required at most communities. This fee enables the community to charge lower monthly fees for its benefits, amenities, services and access to healthcare. The monthly fee may change as residents move from one care level to the next. CCRCs frequently offer various healthcare payment options. Pricing structures vary from community to community, depending on location, amenities and services offered.
Looking for an alternative senior living option?
Aspire at Carriage Hill is an independent living community located in Richmond, Virginia. Please don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more. We’d love to hear from you!